The zoo welcomed the two cubs born to Himani and Vijay on April 20, 2013.
This is the fourth consecutive year that the Cape May County Zoo’s breeding pair of Snow Leopards has produced cubs. They have produced a total of 7 cubs in four years, making them amongst the best and most prolific Snow Leopard pair in North America.
Dr. Herbert Paluch, Zoo Director said, “At this time, the cubs appear strong and healthy and Himani is taking great care of them. However, at this early age, the Snow Leopards remain very fragile.”
With the two new cubs, the Cape May County Zoo is now home to four Snow Leopards. The Zoo will host a grand coming out for the new Snow Leopards once they are cleared for public viewing. Until then, you can come to the zoo and see the cubs interacting with their mom via the Zoo’s new “Cub Cam”. This new Snow Leopard Cub Monitor will allow visitors to observe the cubs while still in the nesting box. The “Cub Cam” allows the public to witness natural behaviors such as nursing, grooming and playing – all never before seen by the public.
The “Cub Cam” is located in the African Savanna Gardens and is available for viewing during normal operating hours.
The Snow Leopards are just one species of the more than 250 species and over 500 animals that call the Cape May County Free Zoo home. The Zoo, located at 707 Route 9 North in Cape May Court House, is currently open from 10 a.m. until 4:45 p.m. The Zoo is open, weather permitting, 364 days a year – closed on Christmas Day. For additional information please call 465-5271 or visit capemaycountygov.net.
Most Recent Articles
- Mar 26, 2018 Seaside Heights Easter Egg Hunt by Administrator
- Jul 14, 2016 22 NEW SHOWS ADDED TO GRUNIN CENTER’S UPCOMING SEASON AT OCC by Administrator
- May 23, 2016 Going Down the Shore by Administrator
- May 4, 2016 9th Annual Blessing of the Lifeguards by Administrator
- Apr 1, 2014 St. Francis Center’s Vacation Club is LBI’s summer camp for children by Administrator
- Sep 23, 2013 LEGENDARY GREATS “COME TO LIFE” AT ARTS & COMMUNITY CENTER by Administrator
- Sep 23, 2013 41st Annual LBI 18 Mile Run by Administrator
- Sep 23, 2013 Activities on LBI by Administrator
- Jul 29, 2013 T. Thomas Fortune House National Historic Landmark by Lynn Humphrey