BRANT BEACH – The 41st Annual Long Beach Island Commemorative 18 Mile Run will take place on Sunday, October 13, and begins at 10:30 a.m. in Holgate, the southernmost point of LBI. Participants will run north on Long Beach Blvd. for 18 miles and finish at Barnegat Light State Park.
The event is sponsored by St. Francis Community Center, 4700 Long Beach Blvd.,Brant Beach, NJ, in cooperation with the LBI Jewish Community Center, 15 E. 24th Street, Spray Beach, NJ. Applications are now being accepted and registration will continue until race day.
Since 1973, the 18-Mile Run has been held in memory of the 11 Israeli Olympic athletes who were slain at the Munich Olympics on September 5, 1972. “The killing of those innocent athletes was one of the most horrific acts of terrorism the world had ever seen,” said race director Mike Thompson.
Due to the tragic events of September 11, 2001, the race will also continue to be dedicated to those who lost their lives in America on that unforgettable day. St. Francis Center and the Jewish Community Center will continue commemorating both events. Mile markers, bearing the names of the victims of both tragedies, will be posted along the race course, in memoriam.
Buses will be provided for registered runners, and will begin leaving for the starting line at 8 a.m. Buses will continue to run from the finish line to the Community Center.
The finish line closes at 2:15 p.m. All runners are invited to a recognition luncheon at the Center immediately following the race.
Applications are available at St. Francis Community Center, 4700 Long Beach Blvd., Brant Beach, NJ, 08008, and can be downloaded by visiting www.stfranciscenterlbi.org or on www.RaceForum.com/LBI. For more information on the special activities planned for the 18-Mile Run weekend, and other year-round events and programs at St. Francis Community Center, please call (609) 494-8861, or visit the above-mentioned web site.
Most Recent Articles
- Mar 26, 2018 Seaside Heights Easter Egg Hunt by Administrator
- Jul 14, 2016 22 NEW SHOWS ADDED TO GRUNIN CENTER’S UPCOMING SEASON AT OCC by Administrator
- May 23, 2016 Going Down the Shore by Administrator
- May 4, 2016 9th Annual Blessing of the Lifeguards by Administrator
- Apr 1, 2014 St. Francis Center’s Vacation Club is LBI’s summer camp for children by Administrator
- Sep 23, 2013 LEGENDARY GREATS “COME TO LIFE” AT ARTS & COMMUNITY CENTER by Administrator
- Sep 23, 2013 Activities on LBI by Administrator
- Jul 29, 2013 T. Thomas Fortune House National Historic Landmark by Lynn Humphrey
- Apr 27, 2013 Cape May County Zoo Snow Leopards Cubs by Administrator