Help us Save the T. Thomas Fortune House National Historic Landmark
The Thomas Fortune House is one of the most historically significant properties in the Unites States.
It has been abandoned, vandalized, and is currently for sale.
There are only 57 National Historic Landmarks in New Jersey, and only 2,500 in the entire USA.
This is one of only two NHLs in NJ that is significant because of its role in African American history and Journalism.
The Thomas Fortune House Preservation Committee and many other groups are organizing with
the assistance of the National Landmarks Alliance and Garden State Legacy.com
We need to raise the attention of the community and raise money for the purchase ASAP.
T. Thomas Fortune was one of the most important Journalists in American History, born a
slave in Florida he became educated and one of the most influential journalists of the 19th century.
His home in Red Bank was visited by many scholars, intellectuals, and leaders of his time,
including Marcus Garvey and Booker T. Washington.
Our plan is to acquire the property, then stabilize and secure the house so that it can
be restored and developed into a cultural center for everyone to enjoy and appreciate.
We have a Facebook page that is packed with information: "Thomas Fortune House, Red Bank, NJ"
Cooperating organizations include: the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Preservation NJ,
the NAACP, the National Landmarks Alliance, Garden State Legacy.com,
Borough of Red Bank, the Red Bank Mens Club & Foundation, and …….you!
Contact us at: ThomasFortuneHouse@gmail.com for more information
and to be placed on our mailing list(s)
Most Recent Articles
- Mar 26, 2018 Seaside Heights Easter Egg Hunt by Administrator
- Jul 14, 2016 22 NEW SHOWS ADDED TO GRUNIN CENTER’S UPCOMING SEASON AT OCC by Administrator
- May 23, 2016 Going Down the Shore by Administrator
- May 4, 2016 9th Annual Blessing of the Lifeguards by Administrator
- Apr 1, 2014 St. Francis Center’s Vacation Club is LBI’s summer camp for children by Administrator
- Sep 23, 2013 LEGENDARY GREATS “COME TO LIFE” AT ARTS & COMMUNITY CENTER by Administrator
- Sep 23, 2013 41st Annual LBI 18 Mile Run by Administrator
- Sep 23, 2013 Activities on LBI by Administrator
- Apr 27, 2013 Cape May County Zoo Snow Leopards Cubs by Administrator